Thursday, August 18, 2005

Communica-TOR

If an army marches on its stomach, then an IT organization marches on information. (We're not called information technology for nothing.). But information for its own sake is noise, and it takes a fairly well run communications effort to ensure that all the members of a given team are marching in lockstep in the right direction.

At my company, communication is a mixed bag. I've often said that I have never worked in an organization which takes such pains to commnicate its well being to the average working Joe. But at the same time, there are pockets within the organization that I call "black holes" into which information passes but never comes out again.

As an IT leader, I have a hard time understanding why that is. I believe strongly in communication, and lots of it. People want information in order to do their jobs effectively, and its my job (and the job of my managers--and heck, everybody on the team) to share info so that we are all, well, informed.

That sort of sounded like a pun, but I don't intend it to be. Over the next several weeks, I will be discussing my approach to organizational communication and I will show some examples of things that I think my team does exceptionally well. Come back soon for more...ahem...information.

3 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger The Bee Bee said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:11 PM, Blogger The Bee Bee said...

This post seems better than some of the others. Why?

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger Tor Stenstad said...

Du er nå på trøkk!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home