Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Collecting watches and reflecting on time

Timepieces are not just a product of human ingenuity, they are the intricate feats of engineering as well as breathtaking works of art. People around the world are collecting them, enjoying them, and hoping that someday they will be the owner of something truly unique.

Not too long ago, a 1933 Patek Philippe pocket watch sold for over $11m (still looking for one in my collection). Ever since I was a young, skinny lad growing up in northern Europe, I had a great fascination for timepieces and timekeeping--and still do to this day. I collect wristwatches, pocket watches, and wall clocks.

Whatever the object, desire is at the heart of collecting. My collection includes a Rolex, a Cartier and many other makes...but my favorite is my father’s 1965 Omega wristwatch. When I wear the watch it makes me feel that he is part of my day. Every time I look at this watch, it brings back memories of a great childhood. I hope that I someday will have objects like this to pass on to my children and to have them enjoy the memories of their great childhoods.

My father, who passed away 2 years ago, set a high bar as a parent for me to live up to. Thank you dad, for teaching me strong values, letting me be a part of your life, and giving me all these wonderful memories!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home